Carpet cleaning rental machine
What to look for in a Carpet cleaning rental machine and the extra carpet cleaning equipment to ask for that
will help you to produce professional results.
So you are thinking of cleaning your own carpets and are contemplating using a carpet cleaning rental
machine. What are the questions you should be asking yourself, to decide the right kind of carpet cleaning machine
- How much carpeting do you need to clean?
- How much time have you available?
- What experience do you have?
- How quickly do you need the carpets to dry?
- What size machine can you fit in your vehicle?
So lets take a look at these questions.
How much carpeting do you need to clean?
- Houses vary greatly in the size of their rooms, some houses have small rooms that are cluttered with
furniture and other houses can have vast expanses of carpet with little furniture.
- In a small house with small rooms you will find that a small machine will be much easier to use, but if you
have large expanses of carpet to clean, you would need to be filling and emptying a small machine far too
- I found that in some small rooms it was quicker for me to use a hand tool and get down on my knees, rather
than try and use a carpet wand and keep banging up against the walls.
- If you are facing a large expanse of carpet, then a carpet cleaning machine that has some form of
mechanical agitation would be a great help.
- There tend to be 2 types of mechanical agitation -
- The first one is a rotating brush, similar to that found on upright vacuum cleaners. An example of
this can be the new Vax upright Carpet cleaning machines that can be bought in Catalogues.
- Some larger machines can have contra- rotating brushes (that is 2 brushes rotating in opposite
- The second one is a brush that moves backwards and forwards, very quickly. The Rug Doctor machines
work this way.
How much time do you have available?
- If you only rent a small carpet cleaning machine, you will get the job done, but it could take you quite
some time to finish.
- So if you do not have a lot of time, it would be better to rent a larger machine that you will be able to
work faster with.
- If you are able to remove your furniture from the rooms that you will be cleaning, you will find that you
can work much quicker. So removing this furniture before you rent your machine will save you time.
What experience do you have?
- If you have never used a carpet cleaning machine before, it will obviously take you longer than someone who
has some experience.
- It would be well worth your while to ask for a demonstration of how to operate the machine, when you rent
- If you would like a full description of how to clean a carpet using a Hot water extraction machine, then
check out our Hot water extraction page.
How quickly do you need the carpets dry?
- If you are not going to be in the house for 24 hours you can just let the carpets dry by themselves, with a
little help from your heating system.
- But if you need to use the house as quickly as possible, then it would be best to ensure the carpets are as
dry as possible after cleaning.
- To do this you would need to spend more time on the extraction part of the carpet cleaning method.
- Ask when you collect your carpet cleaning rental machine whether they have any air movers that you could
use to speed up the drying of your carpets.
- Used correctly these air movers, blow over the carpet and greatly speed up the drying process.
- Turn your heating up and open as many windows as possible, to allow the moisture to escape from the
What size machine will fit in your vehicle?
- If you only have a small vehicle, but need one of the larger machines, then ask at the carpet cleaning
rental machine company whether they are willing to deliver the machine to your premises?
- It would be wise to make certain that they also deliver sufficient carpet cleaning solution and any other
equipment, at the same time.
Dry carpet cleaning rental machines
- These machines brush dry carpet cleaning compound through the carpet fibres.
- This compound is then left for around half an hour for it to dry off and then is vacuumed out of the
- As this system requires little experience to produce excellent results, it is well suited to the rental
- But it does not seem to be readily available throughout the U.K. I don't know whether that is the case in
- The main manufacturer that I know of is the Host brand produced by Racine Industries.