Hot Water Extraction carpet cleaning
So, what is hot water extraction carpet cleaning?
Well, basically it is a system that sprays hot water with detergent on to the carpet and then
vacuum's it off again, taking with it the dissolved soil. Many people refer to this method as
Carpet steam cleaning, which is incorrect, as steam is not used, only hot water.
Nowadays, many people hire small machines from Home improvement stores, to clean their own
These tend to be fairly small and basic hot water extraction machines, that contain maybe 5-10
litres of water and have a dirty water container that can be removed to be emptied.
The performance of these small hot water extraction machines is nothing like the machines used by
professionals, but even so, they can produce acceptable results, if used in the right way.
I have tried to put together some good carpet cleaning tips for you.
So, I am going to suggest a 10 point carpet cleaning method, that will help to produce an
acceptable result with one of these small Hot Water Extraction machines.
- If the hot water extraction machine has water heaters on it then you can fill it with warm
water and leave it to reach the correct temperature.
- The right temperature for cleaning is going to depend on the type of carpet you are
- Wool carpets need to be cleaned with water that is only hand hot.
- Man made fibre carpets can be cleaned with water at a higher temperature, between 40 and
- Check the instructions on the carpet cleaning solution container for the exact temperature
to use for the particular carpet you are cleaning.
- If you do not have a thermometer to check the temperature then it is best to just use water
that is hand hot.
- As you draw the carpet wand towards you, spray the hot water and solution on to the carpet
and then extract it.
- You will notice the carpet fibres changing from that dirty shade to a clean shade.
- But you will have to experiment with how quickly to draw the wand towards you.
- The slower you draw it the more soil that will be removed.
- But the carpet will be wetter the slower you work.
- After 2 or 3 passes with the hot water extraction carpet cleaning wand, take your finger
off the spray switch and make a few passes just vacuuming the carpet.
- This will help to dry the carpet out quicker.
- Use the hand tool to clean around the edges of the room, to make sure you do not scratch
the skirting boards.
- This hand tool is also able to remove any draught marks that are on the carpet fibres by
the skirting board.
- You might need to spray directly on to these draught marks and use a small brush to agitate
them, to be able to remove all of them.
- When you have completed the Hot water extraction process, you will notice wand
marks over the carpet.
- To remove these the carpet needs raking, so that the pile is pointing in the same
- It is best to rake the carpet towards the door you will use to leave the room.
- If you have followed the steps suggested in this carpet cleaning method your carpet
should be dry by the next day.
- If you need the carpet to be dry before the next day, there are a few things you
can do to aid the drying of the carpet.
- Professional carpet cleaners use air movers or large fans and some times
de-humidifiers to aid the drying of the carpet.
- So when hiring your machine check whether the company hires out air movers and
- Turn the heating up and open your windows and doors, the heat helps the moisture to
evapourate and changing the air in the room helps the air to hold more moisture.
- Return portable furniture
- It would be best if you can leave returning the furniture until the carpet is
- But if you need to replace the furniture whilst the carpet is still damp, you will
need to isolate the furniture from the carpet.
- Wooden furniture can lose some of it's stain, and metal furniture can begin to
rust, neither of these do you want transfering to your carpet fibre.
- Professional carpet cleaners use either polystyrene cubes or silver paper squares
to place under the feet of the furniture, to isolate them from the carpet.
- These can be removed a day or two later when the carpet is perfectly dry.
- It is best to have two people to lift furniture back in to the room, rather than
one person dragging the furniture back in, as this can damage the carpet.
If you follow all of these 10 steps to Hot water extraction cleaning of your carpets, you will have
achieved an extremely thorough clean of your carpet.
To maintain your carpet, it is important to vacuum regularily, as this will prevent a build up of
dry soil.This dry soil, especially sandy or gritty soil can damage the carpet fibres and cause the
carpet to wear out quickly.